2016-01-16

Subaru BRAT

 

Subaru BRAT
2014 Cool Classics Series 3
Subaru BRAT
Mainline 2015-123


The Subaru BRAT isn't a new casting, it was released first in 2012 as part of The Hot Ones premium series. This year we got three more examples. The blue one is a Mainline car, and there is a bright yellow variant with the same tampos floating around as well that I have not been able to get. The red one is a Spetrafrost Red Cool Classics Series 3 car, ostensibly from 2014 but only making an appearance here in Ottawa in late 2015 in the Dollarama stores. However when I first saw the red one on the internet I knew I had to have it. I have two, one that is opened and one that is still in the package. For the mainline I also have two, but the one in the package is broken.

It is interesting to compare the two cars. The red one is a metal-on-metal car and has a much more solid feel to it than the mainline, which has a plastic-chrome base. Similarly the red one has more premium wheels on it than the mainline. Put the weight and the wheels together and the Cool Classics car is clearly the better car on the orange track, although the nice paint would make me more reluctant to put it on the track in the first place. Both of them are visually fun to look at, and I'm still on the look out for the yellow one should it surface here in Ottawa.