2016-01-05

Computer Archaeology


Fifteen years ago I left a job, and this was one of the computers I left behind - a Sun Ultra Enterprise 450. I still get periodic calls to go in and do some things for them. It always surprises me a bit when I find one of these 17+ year old computers still doing what I left them doing. Today the external A1000 array failed -- totally dead, no power lights on either power supply -- and the E450 wouldn't boot, so I got the call to go in and try to resurrect it. Fortunately the active use of the files on that array has already been moved elsewhere, so all I had to do was remove the array from the configuration and restart it. However I think we are pushing our luck somewhat so we are going to replace the active roles on this computer with something... newer? Maybe just "less old".