2009-11-10

Customer Feedback

So before I went away on my trip, I received an email from WebEx that looked like this:
From: Joe Schwartz
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:04 PM
To: Dave Mackintosh
Subject: Please Advise

David

Collaborate with colleagues, customers, and prospects—any time, anywhere. Count on WebEx online collaboration to streamline communication throughout your organization.
[sales pitch excluded]

In other words, an email appears in my inbox that is from some guy I've never heard of, and has a subject of "Please Advise". And it is a sales pitch.

This, I think, is boarderline spammy behavior.

So just for giggles, I sent him an email back:
From: Dave Mackintosh
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:51 AM
To: Joe Schwartz
Subject: RE: Please Advise

Hi Joe

I have a couple of pieces of feedback for you.

First, you can remove my email from your lists as my intent on sign up was merely to test a web browser configuration for use with your product for a customer I was working with. The customer is quite happy with your service and continues to use it regularly. However, at present I personally have no direct need for this service.

Second, I find the subject line of your email to be misleading – it has absolutely no relation to the content of the email. I would categorize this as a boarder-line “spammy” message based on that. I realize that you personally have no direct control over what your auto-mailer sends, but if you could send this back upstream you might get a better response to your campaigns.

Thank you for your time.
I'll probably never hear anything further on this, but I figured leaving a blog post which associates the company name "WebEx" with "email spam" where Google can find it is the least I can do.