2009-04-12

Confession Time

As of this weekend, for the first time in something like ten years, I am not running a server at home.

I decided that I was not using the system in the basement for anything other than dhcp and dns -- and my wireless firewall does dhcp, and I can get DNS practically anywhere. (Well, except maybe Rogers.)

So I've rebuilt the computer into a Vista workstation. That way I can use it for things that I'll actually use -- watching videos, surfing the web, photos, that kind of stuff. And now that Vista has a half-decent backup widget, I'm not totally freaked about the possibility of keeping my data on it.

Aaaand... thanks to VMware, if I do need another OS for whatever reason, I can run it on the desktop.

Still, I wonder why there is a sense that I've given up in some way.